Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Time It Takes...

Hey everyone. So it's been a while. 8 months? That's almost how long it takes for new human life to form... don't worry, I'm not having a baby! I'll tell you what I HAVE been up to. Let's start back in September. 


Many of you asked whether I got my guitar back or not - the answer is no, I didn't. Fortunately, the tragicness of that event was a drop in the bucket in comparison to the kindness and hospitality I was shown on the road. From giving me a bed to sleep in, a meal to eat or in Toronto's case, a guitar to play, many warm and friendly people opened their arms and home to me on the road. I met many new friends and connected with a few old friends and it was just incredible. So thank you, so much, to all those people. Know that there's always a spot here in Grandview for you!


After my guitar was stolen, I started my trek home. Thinking back to last spring and summer, I can't believe I pretty much drove across Canada, twice, mostly by  myself. (Mom, what was I thinking?!) So as I started to weave my way back West, playing the rest of my shows on a rented cheapo-Mexican Martin, I made the decision to return back to my 9 to 5. Not too long after that, I found out that my boyfriend was banging some other girl. After that sign from the heavens, I seriously wondered my decision making capabilities and took up smoking menthol super slims for a brief period of time. While thinking about driving into cliffs, I safely arrived in Winnipeg for the second last show of the cross Canada tour. 


Rolling into the heart of the continent with a broken heart and feeling like I just ran a marathon, I thought things couldn't get any worse. Then, my car broke down in downtown Winnipeg. After contemplating throwing myself under a bus, I made it to Aquabooks in the nick of time, sweaty and dirty and gross. (Good thing they had red wine.) I was opening for the band Tailwind. I'm not sure if it was the wine or the Winnipeg air, but I asked them if they would be interested in backing me for some upcoming shows. To my delight, they said yes and the wonderful group of men learned all my songs! Not all was lost in the world, and believe it or not, it kept turning. Tailwind was the beginning of something new and wonderful for Kayla, which I will come back to shortly... 


So, in the meantime, I came back to Grandview and went straight back into the regular schedule of 9 to 5 and teaching dance 4 nights a week. As much as I loved all the things I was doing, it took a lot out of me emotionally and creatively and eventually physically. To be honest with  myself, it's been a really tough 7 months. I was trying to fit in music when I could, and visit friends and family. I feel like I've been in robot mode just to get through the day. The amazingness of the album release and the travelling I've done hasn't even set in yet. I can't believe all that happened. 


Thankfully I had a bit of an awakening. There's a feeling I get on the road that I can't explain, but I think the people who get that feeling know what I mean. During the last week of March, "the Gillam Express" (the re-formed Tailwind) and I went on a 9 day tour out West and back. It was SO much fun - and these guys are great people and great musicians. I am so thankful I met them and they actually wanted to play  music with me - my music! It's hard to find people you mesh well with musically - especially living in a small town. Again, we met many great and interesting people - thank you for your hospitality and welcomeness! It was a real treat. And to those 5 smelly boys, I'm not sure if they'll ever know how much all that means to me. 


As you may have gathered, you might say I am a bit of a dancer. When I arrived home from those 9 epic days, a few things immediately happened. I got word that I received funding from the Manitoba Arts Council to help out with a two week Ukrainian Dance tour I had applied for funding for. I have always dreamed of going, and I took this as a sign. Then, I also found out that I was accepted into the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's teacher training program for the summer, and I took this also as a sign. Then I broke up with my cheating boyfriend. I didn't have to feel shitty about myself anymore, and that is a nice feeling. Things really do work in 3s hey? 


So this brings us to right now. I am sitting on my deck with Steven on a beautiful sunny and windy Sunday morning in Grandview. I am trying to recharge my spirit and my body for the summer to come. Things are slowly winding down in my everyday life. For those who are wondering, I have not taken a leave of absence from my 9 to 5 - I quit. I have met and worked with some wonderful people and have seen amazing things happen when people come together. I do not plan on leaving Grandview any time soon, but I am excited for what is on the horizon. I am headed for Ukraine in a few short weeks, then will be dancing in Winnipeg for a few weeks. There are many shows planned for the summer, and some much needed R & R for a couple weeks with family and friends. Check out the Performance section for some upcoming dates - there are some good ones on there! Some will be with the band, some with less of a band, some with just me. And there are more to be announced, so keep checking back!


Someone once told me that I often take the long way around things, but eventually make the right decision. I hope he's right about this one. Thanks for coming by and reading. Now with a little more free time, perhaps I will come by and update it more often! 



P.S. Happy Mother's Day!! xoxox

1 comments:

Congo said...

So proud of you, Kayla! Keep taking time to breath, and love the life you're living. ♥

 
© Kayla Luky