Wednesday, September 07, 2011

My Adventures...

The other day I went for drive along the coast of Nova Scotia. Facing the waterfront, there were beautiful, old character homes dotted along the highway, in all shapes and colours. I stopped in at Rose Bay and waded through Sand Dollar Beach. I couldn’t believe how much warmer the water was here compared to my dip in the Bay of Fundy while at Grand Manan – it felt like a warm bath in comparison. Even though I wasn’t sure what exactly I was looking for, I decided to come back to the Beach when the tide was lower. I desperately wanted to find one of those sand dollars!

I made a quick stop in the Ovens Park, and although I did not do much exploring I stood and listened to the waves crash in the bay of rock as they slowly came in off the ocean. I figured these waves were pretty small, but I couldn’t believe the sound they made! This is what I wanted to hear from the ocean for a while. Mesmerized by the way the water moved so powerfully, I realized how terrified I am of the ocean – and it felt great!

I continued onto Lunenberg. It was as lovely little town, full of old, colourful shops. I thought about how much I liked colour – almost every room in my house is a different colour. Someone once told me that that wasn’t proper decorating, but I think all those colours make things way more interesting. I was reminded of “A Mighty Wind” and thought maybe my belief is also that humankind is simply materialized colour operating on the 49th vibration. Just kidding. (If you haven’t seen that movie, do.)

After a lovely meal by the ocean, I ventured my way back to Sand Dollar Beach. The tide was on its way out, so the sand was exposed. I combed the beach, barefoot, feeling the warm sand in my toes. I watched the waves, which were much more gentle here, wash in and out. They made a nice soft sound, and it was really quite nice. After a good hour, and finding anything but a sand dollar, I decided to give up. There was fog approaching from the South West.

As I started to drive back through the fog, I was reminded of a book I read, either Momo or the Never Ending Story. Regardless, both were written by Michael Ende and should be read, but in one part of the story there is this nothingness that takes over the land. Whenever I see fog I am reminded of that and it is eerie and also terrifying to me – which also feels great! Whenever I have moments like that it keeps things in perspective and makes me feel alive.

I am currently in Terence Bay, Nova Scotia, staying with a wonderful couple in their home with an amazing view. I can see the ocean from where I type this, and below me there are boulders scattered with brush and spruce trees. It’s pretty surreal – I feel like Momo or Atreyu in an adventure.

0 comments:

 
© Kayla Luky