Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Long Live Samohon!


This morning after waking up much too early and watching the sunrise, I sit with my coffee. Fresh from Toronto, the boys of the Gillam Express and I have returned from a very good time. Between experiencing downtown, reconnecting with old friends and partying with each other in Toronto, we did fulfill the purpose of the trip by showcasing at Indie Week and the Ontario Council of Folk Festivals conference.

Before leaving, I received news that a very, very dear friend of mine died suddenly. Losing someone is not easy for anyone. He was far too young and will be missed by all who met him, no matter how brief or long their meeting was.

I first met Zach Konowalchuk in August of 2006 at Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival.  I distinctly remember being backstage in costume, getting ready for an afternoon performance when I saw this tall, lanky boy with a mane of gorgeous blonde curls and piercing blue eyes holding his skrypka. Who was this person?! I checked the schedule and it was Zachary Konowalchuk from Newport, Oregon. After winning the talent competition the year prior, he was now playing a set of his lovely music on main stage. I was blown away from the first note.

I went to the upper part of the festival site with my mother and bought his album immediately after the afternoon main stage. He signed the album with a heart and some x s and os – what a tease! In all honesty though, we connected from the moment we met that day. Later that evening with a few vodkas in me, I spotted him at one of the zabavas and asked him to dance. For being a great musician, he sure wasn’t a good dancer, but I didn’t mind. While we danced, my mother and his father commented on being svakhe – parent in-laws. Zach and I hung out the rest of that evening. When it was time to part, we hugged and went our separate ways. As I happily walked, I wondered if I’d ever see him again just as he came running toward me to give me his phone number and email address. Score!

After that weekend, I rested, listening to his album on repeat. I shared it with many, to evoke in them the feeling that his music left with me. I emailed him about a week later and was beyond delighted when he responded. And so continued our friendship.  I think I told everyone I knew after that I had met the person I was going to marry.  In the last couple weeks of my Baba’s life as I visited her for the last time in the hospital, she told me to make sure I “marry that boy with the blonde hair and skrypka.” Coincidentally, today is six years since she passed away.

Through the years following our initial meeting, we visited multiple times in Canada. Although at times life got in the way, through the miles we kept in touch – whether it was through email or phone. For whatever reason or another (we also had this great ability to piss each other off all the time and forgive each other) we never did get together – although we talked about it! Oh the blue eyed and blonde haired kids we would have!

I could go on and on about us. I find myself sifting through all my memories. He was my best friend in this whole world. We talked about anything and everything.  A few years ago, he told me he dreamed of me before we met. I was told that when his car was getting cleaned up I was 1 of 3 people’s names on a piece of paper with the words “Kayla Luky - strong, independent woman” written on it. This was one of our many jokes. I can see him sitting at my kitchen table, eating his celery and peanut butter, wide eyed and laughing saying “Kayla Luky!”

The connection we had was something from a fairy tale – I don’t know how else to explain it. So many great memories I will forever cherish. A gamut of emotions have overcome me, going between crying and laughing, I mostly feel as though half of me is missing. I don’t expect that ever to go away.

He was such a special and magical person – words can’t even describe. And all who knew him would agree. For all my Canadians friends and family who had the pleasure of knowing him, thank you for your support and sympathy. I am so very glad I asked him to dance that day and that he could touch your lives too. Until we meet again, my friend, I will forever love and miss you dearly. 


Me with Zach, hanging out on my deck playing music August 2012



One of my favourite songs he did (besides Ukrainian ones of course) 

0 comments:

 
© Kayla Luky